I am a product of society. I like clean
I came to this conclusion the other night while sitting in my tent- cocooning in my sleeping bag trying to get warm in the surprisingly cold Florida weather. The innards of my shower bag were lying all around my tent and my previously organized piles of clothes had long since been torn apart nd picked through. This made me happy. This was deliberate. It was an adjustment at first- but I enjoy waking up as the sun rises to kiss the earth. I enjoy settling down to sleep when the moon comes out to play with all it’s night creatures. The sunlight- I realized- is a commodity in short supply. It exists solely for us to have the distinction between work and rest.
During this time, my friend Shelli would get up early to work on her tables and other art projects she would sell the following weekend at
I’ve always adored the nomadic lifestyle. I love the slow deliberateness of the day and how liberating it is from the things we think we need. I love the steady transition our body makes to align with the circadian rhythm of the earth. I love the easy, simple way that things tend to be done. These things make me happy.
Two summers ago- I was with someone who felt the same way I did. He had big dreams to leave the monotony and drama of the “real” world behind and build a tiny house to live out our days. We had plans to travel to the national parks and stay for 14 days before jumping ship and continuing on again to find a new temporary place to call home. The idea was nauseatingly perfect. The only thing we had to do was find a way to support ourselves remotely- and he took it upon himself to compound an even more nauseating list of jobs that allowed you to work from anywhere on the road. The operative word here being ‘jobs’, because that’s all it was. He was content being 80% happy if it meant that the other 20% of life he would be suffering through to maintain that life. And THAT idea didn’t make me happy.
That’s why I’ve always loved renaissance faires. Patrons will come and be swept away from their daily life to a fantastical land of strange and magical creatures and people alike. They come to see shows of great skill performed in the sky or in the mud or with instruments made after the specifications of old- and it’s magical. If you allow yourself- you just get sucked in.
But for me, it was always more than that. I was a place of hope and inspiration. See, what many people don’t realize- is that a good majority of the vendors’ life this simple, altruistic lifestyle away from the congested streets and rat race highways. They make or peddle their own wares and make their living by traveling from
I’m not saying that it would be easy. It would be an adjustment to go from living in a house to an overhead car camper or a tent or what have you- but I would want that opportunity to try and adjust to that lifestyle. I want the opportunity to cook food on a camp stove and spend an entire day without worrying about finances and grade point averages and due dates. I want the opportunity to be free- to be happy. And one day I will pick up and go and create my own art and wander the world as it is supposed to be wandered. I haven’t stopped thinking about that since the idea first formed two summers ago. And I owe it to myself to try. I owe it to myself to be happy.
This site contains affiliate links. In the event you purchase a product through one of these links, I will receive a commission at no additional cost to you. These commissions are deposited very lovingly into my travel jar <3